LEED & GREEN PROJECTS
The Charles H. Shaw Technology and Learning Center is a dramatic rehabilitation and adaptive reuse of the original Sears, Roebuck and Co. Power House facility, built in 1905 to provide electricity and heat for the company’s world headquarters. In keeping with the history of the facility, large pieces of heating, cooling and power generation equipment from throughout the building’s lifespan have been left in place. Continental Painting prepared, painted and preserved many of the historical features such as mechanical equipment, gantry crane, structural columns and beams, original guard rails, and existing concrete walls. Continental Painting also retrofitted many existing historical architectural details with new materials and finishes. The facility has been transformed into classrooms and study spaces and is now home to the Henry Ford Academy: Power House High. This project is expected to earn a LEED “Gold” rating.